Develop Student-Athletes, Honor Teamwork, Compete Well
NEWS & UPDATES:
Update (4/16/21): Spectators At Athletic Events!
Football & Softball
- Parents can attend games and space themselves around the field. Please remember to follow our protocols by wearing a mask and maintaining distances.
- Please maintain your distance from our players and the bench area.
- Each participating HOME athlete will have 2 family member passes depending on the total capacity not to exceed 200 in total (athletes, coaches, referees, game staff and visitors).
Please help us in creating the safest environment possible for our athletes and families by wearing masks and practicing distancing when you are in attendance at athletic events. Please do not attend if you are feeling sick, have a fever, or have been exposed to Covid.
Update (4/14/21): Please read the following information regarding the football schedule:
- Friday, 4/16 - practice @3:15 - there will NOT be an activity bus and pick up time will be 4:50-5:00.
- Monday & Tuesday, 4/19-4/20 - regular practice
- Wednesday, 4/21 - Jamboree (scrimmage vs MS & HL) @ Union Stadium. The school will be open at 3:00 and coaches will hand out game jerseys at 3:15. The bus to Union Stadium will leave at 4:15. The Jamboree starts at 5:00 and will end around 7:00. There will be no pick up at Union Stadium and all players will ride the buses back to Northwood to drop off their gear. Pick up @ Northwood will be about 7:00-7:15.
- Thursday, 4/22 - practice @3:15 - there will be an activity bus and pick up time will be 4:50-5:00.
- Friday, 4/23 - regular practice after school - NO activity bus and pick up time will be 4:50-5:00..
- The final 3 weeks of the season will not include Friday practices and regular practice will occur after school unless there is a game.
Update (4/3/2021): Northwood Wrestling will now take place during Season #3 (May 17 - June 18). Registration is open!
Attestations for Remote Students/Non-Cohort Days
If your student is attending practice on a non-cohort day they will need to complete the following paper attestation OR the digital attestation (provide proof w/ phone pic) prior to being admitted to practice.
If an attestation is not presented, a coach or athletic director will take their temperature and complete the survey. Students showing a fever or any COVID related symptoms will be asked to go home. Please do not send your student to practice if they are not feeling well.
If your daughter or son has had a positive diagnosis for COVID-19 at ANY TIME during the school year, you will need to provide a sign doctor's release confirming that they are safe to return to athletic activities.
"RULES" for our MODIFIED seasons:
- All eligibility, registration, & physical requirements remain the same as previous years.
- Athletic participation and ASB fees will be waived for the year (this does not include Spirit Packs).
- Each season will follow the guidelines provided by WIAA regarding the recommended number of practices and contests.
- Contests will take place between the three Mead School District middle school athletic programs.
- Varsity and JV squads will have an opportunity to compete.
- If WIAA has not given the clearance to compete or a season is cancelled, the season WILL NOT be rescheduled for later in the year. However, if part of a season can be made up during that season’s scheduled calendar dates, as much of the season will be recovered as possible.
- Our sports offerings have been categorized into 3 groups:
- Track & Cross Country = low risk
- Volleyball, Softball, & Baseball = moderate
- Wrestling, Basketball, & Football = high risk
- Unfortunately, we do not anticipate having a basketball season in the 2020-21 school year.
Game schedules will be sent out by coaches and will be available on the Northwood Athletic Calendar on our website.
Northwood Athletic Director
District Athletic Philosophy
The philosophy of the Mead School District is founded and based upon the principles identified in the district’s foundational student learning goals. Included in this mission is the belief that human wellness and aesthetic experiences are integral parts of the educational experience. To serve that mission, the primary function of the interscholastic and intramural programs is to provide participatory opportunities for as many students as possible. These programs seek to enhance the psychological, emotional, social, and physical development of each student.
The Mead School District believes that participation in athletic programs can enhance the development of the values of cooperation, honesty, sportsmanship, responsibility, respect, perseverance, and commitment. Students will be encouraged to develop their athletic skills and compete to the best of their abilities. The Mead School District is obligated to provide a supportive environment in which students can pursue athletic experiences that maximize their potential. While individual achievements are valued and encouraged, team achievements are of primary importance. Athletics, in addition, can make significant contributions to the educational experience of all Mead students, faculty, staff, and district patrons through the cultivation and enhancement of community.
*Coaches will attempt to answer all emails in a timely manner.*
*Need immediate assistance? Please call the school during business hours at 465-7500*